The things that matter in life.

The things that matter in life.
The things that matter in life.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

So you don't like politicking, huh?

So you don't like politicking, huh?

by Lee Thomas Walker on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 at 11:01am
Consider this the next time someone criticizes (right-minded) political activists, or when you start doing so yourself:

Campaign worker: You want answers?

Critic: I think I'm entitled to them.

Campaign worker: You want answers?

Critic: I want the truth!

Campaign worker: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has election campaigns. And those campaigns have to fought by men with words. Who's gonna do it? You?... I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for someone receiving campaign mail and you curse the PACs and campaign committees. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that being bombarded by all that political talk, while tragic, probably saved freedom. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves freedom... You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that campaign. You need me on that campaign.

We use terms like polling, talking points, policy positions... we use these terms as the backbone to a life spent upholding something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very political freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you go to a campaign office and take a shift. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!